Like most University offices, the Office of Information Technologies (OIT) will be closed for the Christmas and New Year holidays beginning Friday, December 23, 2022 through Monday, January 2, 2023.
Here are some valuable IT tips to help you prepare for the holiday break, and what you can do in case you have an IT question or issue while you’re away.
BEFORE YOU LEAVE
Let People Know You Are On Christmas Break
Before you leave for Christmas break, don't forget to set up a new voicemail message on your VoIP phone and automatic reply on your ND email. It's easy to customize your messages to remind those who try to contact you over the holiday break that you are away from the office. To enable an alternate greeting as your voicemail message and automatic reply on your ND Gmail account while out of the office, follow the instructions in this knowledge article.
Traveling? Plan Ahead For Using Two Step Login
For those traveling over the holidays, be sure to take one of your devices configured for two step login. By doing so, you will be able to login to email and other ND services while away. This is especially important if you will be traveling to areas outside of the United States where you may not have cell service. You can find more top traveling tips in this knowledge article.
WHILE YOU’RE AWAY
Accessing Notre Dame Resources From Off-Campus
When accessing Notre Dame services away from campus, you may be required to use a Virtual Private Network (VPN). The VPN provides a secure connection to data in resources such as Banner, Business Objects, GLEZ, CIF Reporting and Advance.
If you have not already installed the VPN software on your device, you can download the installation file from this OIT web page (you must login with your NetID and password to access this page).
Check Your Voicemail From Off Campus
Remember, you can check your voicemail two convenient ways:
- Configure your voicemail to deliver your voicemail messages to your email inbox via Cisco Unified Messaging. The message will arrive in your inbox as a .wav file which can be played from most computers and mobile devices. Instructions are available in this knowledge article.
- Listen to your voicemail from off-campus. Just dial 574-631-7474 to get into the campus voicemail system. You will need to know your voicemail PIN for your VoIP phone. Follow the instructions in this knowledge article.
If you have forgotten your voicemail PIN, you can change it by going to the voicemail web portal. Login with your NetID and password, then click on “Settings,” “Passwords,” and “Change PIN.”
If You Receive A New Mobile Device for Christmas
When you receive a new cell phone or tablet, you’ll need to check your Okta settings BEFORE you activate your new device:
- Before you ACTIVATE the new device, verify that you have ENROLLED an option such as SMS (text message), Voice Call or Secure Key.
- If you ONLY enrolled in Okta Verify or Google Authenticator, these options will not work on the new device until you RE-ENROLL these options on the new device at okta.nd.edu.
Details on the options you can enroll are available in this knowledge article.
Once you activate the new device, you’ll need to CONFIGURE Okta Verify or Google Authenticator. Follow the instructions in this knowledge article.
Tips for Celebrating with Family & Friends on Zoom
When distance makes getting together with family and friends difficult over the holidays, consider using Zoom for fun social activities. Find out more about these activities and how you can host them in this knowledge article.
IT Questions or Issues During Christmas Break
If you do have a question or run into an issue during Christmas break, you’ll find information and solutions documented in the self-service ServiceNow knowledge base, and the virtual agent never takes a break. There are also some additional tools available to keep you updated on IT service status:
- Check out the Service Status on the OIT website home page
- Follow the OIT on these social media resources:
If you still need assistance, you can contact the OIT Help Desk at any of the options listed below, and a Help Desk representative will respond to you when the office reopens on Tuesday, January 3, 2023. (Be sure to include details about the problem, including a date, time, operating system, exact error message and related reports.)